[Histonet] Microm HM 315

Cooney, Carolyn C. CCOONEY <@t> LROC.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jun 11 08:17:30 CDT 2003

I am using a Microm HM 315 to cut 5u sections from paraffin blocks mostly
mouse organs & tumors.  I'm having a lot of trouble with wrinkling and
compression of the sections.  Although the paraffin wrinkles come out in the
water bath, many of the tissue wrinkles stay in.  The Microm manual says to
use an angle not less than 10 degrees, although I have tried all angles, and
none seem really better than others.  We soak the blocks for 1 hr on a
cold-plate, put on ice for 15 minutes before cutting.  We use TBS Shur/Sharp
High Profile Carbon Steel Blades.  Does anyone have recommendations for
angle, blades, or protocol changes?  Thanks, Carolyn