[Histonet] RE: IHC on cells on coverslips

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 15:05:29 CST 2003

Patti,

No I don't.

HIER is used to reverse the effects of formalin fixation. Since I rarely use
formalin to fix my cytology smears (usually use 95% ethanol or Methacarn)I
do not use HIER on these smears.

Having said that, I suspect that there may be antigens out there that
require HIER and this is not due to the formalin fixation effect. I have not
come across these yet. The question arises how antibodies to these type of
antigens were raised. Were the antigens heated (similarly to HIER) prior to
immunisation?

Tony Henwood JP, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager
The Children's Hospital at  Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318

http://www.histosearch.com/homepages/TonyHenwood/default.html
http://us.geocities.com/tonyhenwoodau/index.html