[Histonet] Temporary Histology Position Open (South Dakota State University)

Hadi Yaziji hadi83 <@t> comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 08:18:36 CST 2003

I believe this is the largest histotechnology email list on record. It
is interesting that few are justifying the race-to-the-bottom approach
taken by the job ad. Someone who failed the HT exam and has no formal
education and has little experience should be working at McDonald
flipping burgers and not be sitting behind a microtome that he/she
doesn't know how to use.

Histotechs are as important as Medtechs, ICU nurses and other
healthcare professionals who make decent money because the importance
of their profession is more visible to the public than people in
histology labs.

I hope ads like that one won't be abundant. But it is probably the
responsibility of the Histotechnology community (including NSH) to
insure that the issue of pay is being monitored. There's no reason any
licensed histotech should  agree to such insulting job requirements.
After all, there's more national shortage in histotech jobs than
nursing jobs. This ad still sounds ironic to me, where the number of
histotech schools that are currently operating keeps dropping.

As pathologists (recently described as "elitists"), most of us feel
that histotechs should be extremely well compensated in order for us to
adequately carry out our daily practice.

Hadi Yaziji, M.D.
PhenoPath Laboratories