[Histonet] Hardening very soft brains

Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk
Fri Dec 5 09:33:48 CST 2003

Steve Machin UK wrote:

>Could anyone help us with a problem we have in processing very soft
>fetal brains?
>
>We currently fix in 20% formalin in buffer but the brains are so soft
>after processing they stick to the wrapping paper.
>
>Any ideas on how we can harden them after fixation?

I find zinc fixative totally brilliant for brain tissue, in  both the hardening and morphologic aspects.
You may not be able to keep the tissue on the slide, but heck, you can't have everything:-)

Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
 Consultant Pathologist
 Rotherham General Hospital
 South Yorkshire
 England