[Histonet] HIER using B & D rice steamer

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Tue Dec 2 05:11:01 CST 2003

We use the B&D steamer for all retrievals.  We preheat the reagent for 5
minutes then add the slides for 20 minutes.  Remove them and allow them to
cool for another 20 minutes.  They then sit in buffer for another 5 minutes
before putting them on the Dako Autostainer.

Tom Mc Nemar HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark, Ohio

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebree Linda A. [mailto:la.sebree <@t> hosp.wisc.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 5:13 PM
To: Histonet (E-mail)
Cc: Slukvin Igor I
Subject: [Histonet] HIER using B & D rice steamer

One of our pathologists is looking for an inexpensive way to antigen
retrieve tissues for staining with CD3, CD68 and CD56.  I suggested a Black
and Decker rice steamer although I personally have no experience with one.
Is anyone out there willing to share their retrieval protocol?  I (and he)
would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Clinical & Research Laboratory
DM223-VA
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792