[Histonet] cresylechtviolett (cresyl fast violet) staining problems

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon Dec 1 10:16:30 CST 2003

Is your dye from a batch certified by the Biological
Stain Commission? If so, it will have a little sticker
on the bottle that says so, and it will probably be
called cresyl violet acetate. For variations in
names and identities (there's no correlation!) see
Conn's Biol. Stains 10th ed. (2002), Chapter 19 (by
R.W.Horobin).

A certified batch of cresyl violet should give a
good result if you use the same procedure that the
B.S.C. uses to test the dye for certification. This
is described in a paper by D.P.Penney et al. 2002
"Analysis and testing of biological stains - the
Biological Stain Commission procedures." Biotech.
Histochem. 77: 237-275. This paper describes the
testing methods for all the 61 currently certifiable
stains. If your lab doesn't get this inexpensive
journal you should at least obtain Vol 77 issue 5/6
for Sep/Nov 2002, which contains the B.S.C.
procedures paper.
--
John A. Kiernan