[Histonet] Cryomicrotomy on mouse lung - long reply

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Aug 26 17:32:13 CDT 2003

Bill,

Yes, we have diluted OCT with PBS 1:1, but found it was not necessary. Lung
filled nicely plus diluted OCT is more aqueous, looks funny at times when
frozen as water concentration increases. If it was any more dilute,
sectioning was poorer.  We had good sectioning with 1:1 diluted OCT, but it
also tends to diffuse out of lung - I had to work quickly. We don't use TBS
embedding media (if it isn't broken, don't fix it attitude) and are finding
some brands don't do the job as well as OCT, but that is a preference plus
application usage (filling small intestine lumen with OCT is also done
after rinsing feces out with PBS, sort of the acid test of cryoembedding
media for us).

People really need to try different cryomedias, note plural.  We discovered
some do not hold tissue as well resulting in sections compressed or
cryoembedding media pulling away from villi inside murine intestine.  It
pays to try them all just to see if one works better with rodents, animal
tissues. Many of these media are developed and tested in clinical/human
situations and then the "mousie" types come along and do something entirely
different, testing cryoembedding media to their limits.  This doesn't mean
a product is inferior, just not best for us.

I have tried Shandons colored media in lung and it was so neat to see a
colored goo inflate the lung i.e. green or blue, theirs also worked well
with lung. Not tried Shandon's with intestine though. So advice is if you
get poor sections with one cryomedia, try others - vendors graciously send
samples.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology - Marsh Lab
Montana State University - Bozeman
S. 19th and Lincoln St
Bozeman MT 59717-3610

406 994-6367 (lab with voice mail)