[Histonet] warthin starry stain

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> mail.netquest.com
Sat Aug 23 08:44:13 CDT 2003

It's probably because the doctor/nurse is letting the biopsy dry out before they place it in formalin. Even setting a minute on a pad will do this. We've seen this also with kidney biopsies.

No way to correct it after the fact. No way to make the W/S stain work. The tissue HAS to be placed in the fixative IMMEDIATELY.

You might try the Giemsa or Diff-Quik stain. Sometimes they will still stain the H. pylorii after this drying out.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: celia
  To: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
  Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 6:28 PM
  Subject: [Histonet] warthin starry stain

  I am having some trouble with our Warthin-Starry stain.  The peripheri of the gastric biopsy is not getting stained.  The rest of the specimen is well stained.  I am not sure if I need to lengthen the impregnation time or the developer time.  I have never had this happen before.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  Celia, HT Sioux Valley Hospital