[Histonet] GMS Precipitant

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Aug 18 15:11:51 CDT 2003

We always made up fresh STOCK solution of Methenamine silver when this
occured - be sure to check you stock solution even if it is a long way from
expiration day. If it has any cloudiness or you see deposition on side of
stock bottle, make up new. If the stock solution is bad, your newly made up
working solution will be bad too.

We also store our silver nitrate in the refrigerator.

 At 12:47 PM 8/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> Gomori Methenamine Silver (GMS) stain comes directly from Frieda Carson's
>Histotechnology: A Self Instructional Text our Coplin jars. We have tried
>numerous different potential solutions, such as chemically cleaning our
>Coplin jars, using various types of deionized water (all Type 1), preparing
>fresh solutions and adjusting the temperature by decreasing and increasing
>the heating time. When we first encountered this problem it did not occur
>with the conventional method, but lately it has been occuring with both
>methods. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.   Jeannie Heck HT (ASCP)
>Do you Yahoo!?
Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology - Marsh Lab
Montana State University - Bozeman
S. 19th and Lincoln St
Bozeman MT 59717-3610

406 994-6367 (lab with voice mail)