[Adult-hlh-mas] securemail - possible HLH...previously known to most services involved here

Weina Chen Weina.Chen at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Aug 1 05:16:09 CDT 2018

Hi Team,

Please inform once BM biopsy is done today, Path team will expedite the review.

Thanks,

Weina

________________________________
From: Srikanth Nagalla
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:55 AM
To: Christian Wysocki
Cc: adult-hlh-mas at lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Aena Patel; Tri Le; Dawn Klemow
Subject: Re: [Adult-hlh-mas] securemail - possible HLH...previously known to most services involved here

Agree with repeat BM biopsy and using Anakinra at this time.

Sri.

On Jul 31, 2018 11:43 PM, Christian Wysocki <Christian.Wysocki at UTSouthwestern.edu> wrote:

Hi all, sorry I was delayed in getting back to you.

I took a brief look through Mrs. Tran's case.  This certainly seems to have gotten considerably worse in the past week despite 50mg daily prednisone.  I am impressed that she is fevering through that, and am impressed by the extremely high soluble IL2R levels.  Those levels make me concerned for lymphoid malignancy (athough we don't have clear evidence of one). They also make me worried about her prognosis.  Not sure how the HBV is playing into this....I suppose it could be driving T cell activation?...

Given the substantial worsening in her cell counts in the past week or so, I do wonder whether a repeat BMbx is warranted. The first one wasn't entirely normal, with polytypic plasmacytosis and a small clonal B cell population.....perhaps something is declaring itself.  It looks like the axillary nodes on prior CT had shrunken on the recent CT chest, probably related to steroid (which is my concern....she's been on 50mg PDN for a week or so now and I wonder if that will make it tough at this point to get a solid diagnosis, if this is a lymphoma or lymphoproliferative disorder).

That being said, it doesn't look like we have much time to wait.

If a BMBx can get done tomorrow, I think it would be a good idea to repeat. I would also like an IL18 level to be sent to Cincinnati Children's, along with a cytokine panel (same place - have to order them separately).  May help us down the road decide between thinks like Anakinra or Tocilizumab).

My sense is that as soon as the biopsy is done, more aggressive therapies should be initiated.  An extensive infectious eval has been done.....agree with Bonnie that if EBV and CMV have not been repeated they should be before we get more aggressive with treatment.

I don't think she'll do well with etoposide right now with her severe neutropenia.

As we don't yet have clear evidence for malignancy, and there have been concerns about HBV associated autoimmunity/vasculitis driving this, my proposal would be to treat initially with a solumedrol pulse and anakinra, essentially treating presumptively for MAS.  Hopefully that would cool this off, and if the repeat bone marrow does show malignancy, get her to a state where she could tolerate definitive treatment.  I also think we need to continue antivirals while doing this!

What do others think of that plan?

-Chris