[Histonet] Tissue disoposal/formalin

Bacon, Charles Charles.Bacon at baystatehealth.org
Wed Jul 12 12:25:26 CDT 2023

We use SteriCycle. We decant off all formalin and put the tissue in double red bagged biohazard boxes for incineration. The boxes are hauled by them and we have manifests in triplicate that are retained by our Safety department. Anyone signing the manifest needs to attend the training for the Mass DPH on how to handle haz-waste so you know what you are signing. We keep a binder of the manifests copies and we receive in the mail the original manifest stamped "destroyed" once that is done. We keep all records for three years. I don't know what other states require. I have a procedure to share if you want it. Feel free to reach out.

Chuck Bacon, HTL(ASCP)CM
Histology Supervisor
Baystate Health System
361 Whitney Ave., Holyoke, MA 01040