[Histonet] Cryostat anti-roll plate

Keyser, Geri L GKeyser at uwhealth.org
Wed May 25 07:15:06 CDT 2022

I use roll plate.

I don't like the roll plate on the Leica. The Leica design creeps... a lot.

Also, with the leica, the contact point with the blade is a soft aluminum arm. If you make adjustments with the roll plate holder contacting the blade, it will damage the soft aluminum holder.

I like the thermo design much better. It creeps a lot less.

Here's a procedure for roll plate adjustment.

1.	Mount block on specimen disc.
2.	Place Specimen Disc in chuck, position Blade carrier, and face off.
3.	Turn knurling screw clockwise until sections do not pass under the Anti-roll plate.
4.	Turn knurling screw counter-clockwise by 20 degree increments until sections effortlessly pass under the Anti-Roll Plate WITHOUT hitting the block.

*	If the block is hitting the anti-roll plate, it may cause damage to glass.
*	Hard contact is visible and can be heard.
*	Soft contact, which can also damage the Anti-roll plate, cannot be seen or heard. But, can be felt by gently placing finger on the anti-roll plate turning lever while taking a section.

Geri