[Histonet] Detection Systems

Sally Price sprice2003 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 14:09:15 CST 2022

Like Amos, I have extensive experience in working with biotin/streptavidin
(BSA) detection systems, and use them primarily because, in my analyses,
such reagents cost about half as much as polymers kits in the same volume
containers.  In addition, knowing that endogenous biotin can be problematic
in a small number of different tissues, our (clinical) lab simply avoids
using BSA in those situations.  As required by CAP standards, our IHC
policy acknowledges that we’ve conducted the necessary testing to determine
if/when endogenous biotin makes interpretation challenging, and refrain
from doing so when applicable.

Finally, although I don’t agree with Carl’s belief that one MUST use the
DAB chromogen+substrate components offered by the same vendor as the
detection components, we DO purchase such a reagents from the same
manufacturer simply because they’re more inclined to assist us in
troubleshooting if we run into a problem with EITHER reagent.
Sally

--
Sally Price