[Histonet] cytology billing

Joe W. Walker, Jr. jwwalker at rrmc.org
Wed Jul 28 10:05:06 CDT 2021

Well, that is a trick question and depends on how your lab is setup.  Most non-gyn CPT codes contain a technical (TC) and a professional component (PC).  In my hospital lab, we bill the technical component but our contacted pathology group bills out the professional component. The TC from our perspective covers the cytotech's review.  Keep in mind, that there is no CLIA requirement for a cytotech to prescreen a non-gyn specimen.

Does this help?

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology and Interim Phlebotomy Manager
P 802.747.1790  F 802.747.6525
joewalker at rrmc.org, www.rrmc.org