[Histonet] Crab histology

Jennifer Phinney jhill at vet.k-state.edu
Fri Oct 30 10:45:26 CDT 2020

Hello Histopeeps,
Does anyone have experience with histology on crustaceans? My lab received a moon crab with shell lesions (of course) and I'm wondering what the best treatment is to ensure the lab can cut the best slides of the shell possible. I am currently thinking a combination of decal and Nair to deal with the chitin and calcium carbonate that makes up the shell.

I have an insect histology book that details other ways to soften chitin, but this is on a larger scale than the small insects my lab has dealt with before.

Thanks for any guidance,
Jennifer Phinney MS QIHC
Histology Laboratory Administrator
Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Lab