[Histonet] Cellient for cell block preparation

Joe Myers jmyers1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 20 14:33:23 CST 2020

Dr. Cartun:
I’ve worked with the Cellient system in two different labs, with somewhat disappointing results.  Although processing specimens with this system does not employ cross-linking fixatives like formalin - which should (in theory) be ‘beneficial’ to target antigens, in my experience the resulting reactions were less than ideal.  Despite multiple attempts, adjusting various protocol parameters (including ‘skipping‘ the HIER step altogether and using both high- and low-pH retrieval solutions), staining intensity/cellular distribution was never as good as it was in formalin-fixed histologic samples.  My ‘working theory’ is that, since all of the antibodies that were tested were characterized against formalin-fixed and heat-retrieved antigens, it simply wasn’t possible to obtain IHC-comparable results with Cellient-processed (i.e. methanol/isopropanol-fixed cytologic) samples.

Joe Myers, M.S., CT/QIHC(ASCP)