[Histonet] CPT Code 88172

Victoria Baker bakevictoria at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 13:44:20 CDT 2019

Hi,

I just referred back to my sometimes frustrating clear as mud 2019 CPT
coding binder.
88172 is not saying that it has to be done by a pathologist.  In many cases
it is completed by a Cytotechnologist.
The precise wording says
"Cytopathology, evaluation of fine needle aspirate; immediate
cytohistologic study to determine adequacy for diagnosis, first evaluation
episode each site
The professional code comes in on 88173 where it involves the
interpretation and report.

The stance that it is a tech component comes from the
Cytologist/pathologist obtaining the specimen.  However they are
responsible for the adequacy of of the specimen.  The argument goes both
ways.

At this institution we use it as a professional code only.

Vikki