[Histonet] Erroneous result

William Shipley william at schuylerhouse.com
Thu Nov 7 11:20:47 CST 2019

As an LIS developer, I struggle with how to deal with reporting data we know
to be incorrect in a way that maintains the record but prevents someone from
accidentally acting on it if they review the report in haste.

In this example, I am curious as to how to deal with the idea that we
actually have two different reports. The report to the wrong patient which,
presumably, went into their file and the report to the proper patient. If
the amended report corrects the data to the proper patient, how will a copy
find it's way to the original patient's file to cancel it?

It would seem that the original report would need to be amended to say
disregard -- with the original patient identification and an entirely new
report made with the new demographics to go to the proper patient. Would
this second report even qualify as amended since it's the first one for that
patient?

To further complicate the scenario, the original report may have gone to a
clinician who is not authorized to see the results on the proper patient.
Sending them an amended report which identifies the proper patient might
constitute a HIPAA violation.

William Shipley
Schuyler House
www.schuylerhouse.com