[Histonet] Cut-resistant gloves and SOP for frozen brain

Jones, Lynne jonesly at wustl.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:00:08 CST 2019

Hello -
I would appreciate feedback from the HistoNet community on best practices for handling frozen human (or macaque) brain for autoradiography in a research lab.
I'm also curious about lightweight cut resistant gloves, and whether they are practical for anything more than changing blades (if even that).

We recently obtained frozen slabs of brain tissue that are larger than the material our group routinely sections.
The PI purchased a Mar-Med Bone saw to cut the slabs into smaller blocks we can then section and mount on glass slides.
              It should be a safe option for biologists with no experience using any power tools.
I need to update our EH&S and biosafety protocol for the saw, so I'm also revisiting our BBP/cryostat safety training.

The institutional biosafety office suggested lightweight cut-resistant gloves made with ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene fiber, layered with nitrile.
They look like cotton liners, Spec-Tec and Spectra fiber are trade names.
Are they useful? If they weren't so expensive (and we didn't need two different sizes), I wouldn't hesitate to try them.

We follow standard universal/microbial practices for biohazards, with surgical mask and eye protection for splash hazards when dust/aerosols are a concern.
The new Mar-Med saw will go in a fume hood.
              I've explained the use of push blocks or a jig to hold the tissue when using a band saw (probably have some made from melamine).
Any other tips/tricks when using a saw on frozen brain?
       The company rep suggested ultra-fine blades, but I don't know if diamond would be better for brain.
       Should brain tissue be cut at -80 degrees or at -20 degrees?
Do users chill the saw with ice or dry ice?

Cleaning and disinfection for the saw will follow manufacturers SOP for disassembly of the parts and our cryotome disinfection protocol.
The cryotome is cleaned and decontaminated at room temperature.
Equipment surfaces are sometimes covered with foil to facilitate cleanup.
       We use lab tissues to clean surfaces and non-removable parts after discarding the blade. (Any foil is also discarded.)
       Chucks and other parts are removed and soaked in a neutral lab detergent.
We clean surfaces with soap, then warm water rinse, then 70% ethanol, then 95% alcohol to remove water.
After it is dry, final decontamination is with a waterless EPA-registered spray disinfectant (kills TB); spray it on so that it looks wet for ~2 minutes.
20 minutes after spraying with the EPA-registered disinfected, the cryotome can be set to standard temperature for use.

Am I missing anything?
We are an academic/research lab, so don't need to follow CAP.
Much of our work uses rodent tissue, so there isn't a set schedule for cryotome disinfection - or even cleaning.
Lab Specific Training is clean/disinfect both before and after working with potentially infectious material (human or macaque).

Thanks,
Lynne Jones

Research Lab Supervisor
Radiochemistry Research Group - Lab Manager
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology
St Louis, MO

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The materials in this message are private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information or other information of a sensitive nature. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail, and please delete the e-mail without further review, disclosure or copying.