[Histonet] cellblocks

Cassie P. Davis CDavis at che-east.org
Fri Sep 21 07:17:54 CDT 2018

All our tissue is stained with the same H&E protocol. The difference maybe because cellblock are processed different to turn a fluid into a cellblock rather sampling a section of tissue. Most places fix tissue in NBF. Are using ThinPrep processing? If I recall correctly, the specimens are 1st processed in cytolyt solution which I believe is a buffered alcohol solution before the are spun down for the cellblock button and put in a cassette with the tissues in NBF for processing. At least that is how I remember doing it when I did cytoprep +/-12 years ago. This might account for the difference in staining even when the cellblock section is the same thickness as a tissue section. I cannot speak for SurePath or other cytology processing.

If this is a new issue, is there a change in the way the specimen is being processed, are different people cutting cellblocks then tissues, it could be a microtomy section thickness issue. Section cut thinner appear to stain lighter, I drove a patholgist crazy ealier in my early career because I cut at 4 microns and she was used to looking at sections 5-6 microns thick. I hope this helps.

Cassandra Davis
Histology Technician
AP Laboratory
302-575-8095
Email:  CDavis at che-east.org<mailto:CDavis at che-east.org>

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the property of Trinity Health and is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.