[Histonet] Bouin's Fixative Substitute

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:16:27 CDT 2018

Linda Miller posts in what appears to be an advertisement:

>>New! Bouin's Fixative Substitute is a low-hazard replacement for Bouin's
Fixative. This substitute provides all the benefits of Bouin's without the
use of picric acid. Available in a variety of sizes and pre-filled specimen
containers.<<

It seems to me that "Bouin's Fixative Substitute" is an honest name for the
stuff. But what's in it that substitutes for picric acid? If that's a trade
secret, then I wouldn't use the stuff. If you tell us, I'm sure many of us
will be happy to buy it rather than brew it, but secret formulas have no
place in science.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN