[Histonet] counter stains for Sudan Black B

Tyrone Genade tgenade at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:45:35 CST 2018

Hello,

I need a counterstain for use together with Sudan Black B. I am using this
method: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27812872 which uses Nuclear
Fast Red. I don't have nuclear fast red... In an updated protocol by these
authors they use hematoxylin but in a previous trial I found it was too
dark and make visualizing the Sudan Black signal too difficult. I'm using
Sigma's Mayer's Hematoxylin solution. It is past its sell-by date and just
won't blue nicely any more..

I have available Methyl Green, Neutral Red and  Safranin  O. The former
washes out in aqueous/glycerol mounting medium (required for the protocol).
How well does Neutral Red and Safranin work with an aqueous mounting medium?

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade
Orange City, Iowa

*Don't panic if I don't reply to your emails sent over the weekend. I don't
usually have time to check my email over the weekend and will get back to
you on Monday.*