[Histonet] Acid Phosphatase Protocol

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jan 25 15:14:44 CST 2018

Hi April,
Try this

Control tissues: liver, kidney and prostate
Fixation and Sectioning: Air dried unfixed 8µm frozen sections

Solutions:

1.	Substrate solution
Naphtol AS-B1 phosphate		0.005g (Fluka 70494  1g)
Dimethylfomamide			0.5ml
Warning: Suspected Carcinogen – see MSDS

2.	Acetate buffer pH 4.8
Sodium acetate				4.8g
Distilled water				100ml
0.6% Acetic Acid				14.75ml
pH to 4.8
Make up to 1000 ml with distilled water

3.	Sodium nitrite:
Warning: Toxic – see MSDS
Sodium nitrite		 	1.0g
Distilled water			25.0ml

4.	Pararosaniline-HCl stock solution.
Warning: Suspected Carcinogen – see MSDS
Pararosaniline hydrochloride
(Basic Fuchsin CI 42510)	  	0.8g
Distilled water				16ml
Concentrated Hydrochloric acid		4ml
Heat gently, cool to room temperature and filter (store 4C)

5.	Incubation solution:
Take 0.4ml solution 3 + 0.4ml solution 4 and mix. Stand for 2 minutes and then add to:
Substrate Solution (Solution 1)		0.5ml
Acetate buffer pH 4.8			25ml
Adjust with 0.1M NaOH to pH 4.5-5.0.

Procedure:

1.	Take air-dried sections and incubate in the incubation solution at 37oC for 1 hour
2.	Wash with distilled water and counterstain with Harris's Haematoxylin for 1 minute.
3.	Wash in running tap water
4.	Dehydrate rapidly through fresh alcohols to xylene and mount.

Results:

Acid phosphatase activity		red
Nuclei					blue

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children’s Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA