[Histonet] Xylene resistant gloves and xylene replacers (Piche, Jessica)

Nicole Roberts universalderm.nroberts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 07:00:07 CDT 2017

Good Morning,

We are currently using XS-3 from StatLab and Formula 83 from CBG Biotech.
Both of these are xylene substitutes and both are aliphatic hydrocarbons.
They are less toxic than xylene, and don't have the strong smell we all
learn to love about xylene.

Limonene based substitutes are also an option but some techs have an issue
with the smell.

As for chemical resistance - Nitrile gloves are probably going to be your
best bet for staining and general use, but a thicker glove made of
polyvinyl (PVA) is more suited for pour over or immersion.

Hope this helps!

Nicole Roberts, BS, HTL(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
universalderm.nroberts at gmail.com