[Histonet] Harris Hematoxylin

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 20:41:39 CST 2017

Jessica Piche, HT(ASCP) at Waterbury Hospital [Connecticut] asks:

>>Just wondering what kind of Harris Hematoxylin people are using. We are
doing a regressive H&E on a Leica Autostainer XL for 9 minutes. We have
been buying Ricca Hematoxylin but we are having so many issues with it. Are
people using acidified Hematoxylin in regressive staining protocols?<<

How can you be using Harris hematoxylin today? Harris hematoxylin by
definition is oxidized with mercuric oxide, and I don't think they make it
any more because of the problem of disposing of mercury.

I guess the new definition is "any alum hematoxylin our marketing
department wants to call Harris".

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN