[Histonet] Histonet Digest, Vol 150, Issue 21 floaters

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Mon May 23 13:26:46 CDT 2016

Never seen that happen in 34 years of training and practice.
Sounds like an inadvertent transfer by the grosser.

But Floaters are so frequent that it behooves labs processing small biopsies to wrap each specimen to minimize or eliminate transfers.  We have the embeddets clean the forceps w the wrappers to further minimize transfer.  I have posted long messages previously, detailing methods.

However tiny floaters can persist for months in the tissue processor pumps and bottles and lines.  20 years ago I inherited an old Fishermatic 160, previously used to process placentas.

I saw placenta fragments in skin samples for at least 6 months.
Steve

Morning everyone,

I would like to know how many labs experience issues where tissue from a typical, sealed cassette is lost in the processor and ends up inside another cassette.

Really.

Thanks,
Jeanine Sanders
CDC Atlanta