[Histonet] cryosectioning undecalcified samples

Caroline Miller mills at 3scan.com
Thu Mar 3 13:45:30 CST 2016

In this space there is the cryojane (expensive,
http://www.leicabiosystems.com/research/neuroscience/details/product/tape-transfer-system/)
or the Japanese Kawamoto method:
http://section-lab.jp/English/Introduction.htm

I have also found that if you take a regular piece of scotch tape and put
it on the block prior to sectioning that it also works :) (trim to your
area of interest, move the blade along, place on the tape and press down
(use a tool to do this - don't use your hand to reduce the warming of the
tissue, which would give too big a slice), then flip the scotch tape to the
outside of the blade and take a section. You can then stain the tissue on
the tape, dehydrate and clear, then stick the whole thing under a
coverslip. Crude but effective for standard stains. I could not get
immunostaining to work with it though......

It is hard to then get the tissue off the tape - apparently it works with
hexane for the Kawamoto method, but I could never get that to work

Ultimately if you were going to buy something I would say the Kawamoto is a
great place to start, they (he) has a bunch of good tools in cute boxes
that you can work with to make the process easier

Good Luck!

mills

--
Caroline Miller (mills)