[Histonet] Cleaning Tissue Molds (Kennedy, Lisa

Mayer,Toysha N TNMayer at mdanderson.org
Thu Jul 14 14:12:01 CDT 2016

Lisa,

I have used all of the previously mentioned methods for cleaning molds.  It really depends on the facilities that you have access to.  Boiling in hot soapy water is great for deep cleaning, but you may not have enough pots or beakers to clean them all at once.  Xylene, followed by 100% is good, but you may not have it in the budget to use fresh xylene and forget to save some used.  Sometimes having a container big enough to do this is also a challenge.  Spraying them down with mold release after air drying, but then you have to remember to allow them to dry.  Placing them in the processor can clog the lines, but if you place them in the oven first to drain and only do a few at a time that can help.
We have our students boil them and then dry them in the oven. Weekend dry in the oven, and on Monday am they shake them up and put them away.
Some techs don't like the residue of mold release.  It doesn't bother me though.
Sincerely,

Toysha N. Mayer, D.H.Sc., MBA, HT (ASCP)
Instructor/Education Coordinator
Program in Histotechnology
School of Health Professions
UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
713.563-3481
The information contained in the e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and/or protected from disclosure. This e-mail message may contain protected health information (PHI); dissemination of PHI should comply with applicable federal and state laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, any further review, disclosure, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any attachment (or the information contained therein) is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all references to it and its contents from your systems.

Message: 1