[Histonet] ORO staining in pre- vs. post-fixed tissue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 09:22:55 CST 2016

Michele:Methodologically it is much more difficult to freeze/section formalin fixed tissue so it is unnecessary adding an additional layer of difficulty to the procedure pre-fixing in formalin.Although I have not tried it, there is no effect of NBF on the amount of fat so there should not be a difference in the reaction of ORO.I think that you have presented this question probably because you have old already fixed tissue samples and now want to use ORO on them and if this is the case, they will be very difficult to make frozen sections on them.The best ORO procedure is to "embed" the unfixed tissue in OCT → make FS → fix on NBF vapors → stain with Harris hematoxylin → stain with OROPlease not that in my procedure nuclear staining precedes ORO stain to assure better nuclear detail, and there is no interference at all with the fat stain.Fixation should be done with NBF vapors, not liquid. To do that I always placed the water washed and dried FS (that usually are near one end of the slide) inside a Coplin jar with a small amount of NBF at the bottom in a way that the section does not touch the NBF. The capped Coplin jar is placed in an oven at 60ºC during 15 minutes, so the section is fixed by the vapors. Then the section is washed and the staining is performed.René