[Histonet] Help on Competency Assessments

Fawn Bomar Fawn.Bomar at HalifaxRegional.com
Thu Jan 14 08:48:11 CST 2016

Hey everyone,

I know that this question has been asked before and I have tried to find out information through the internet, but I am having a difficult time trying to find any type of sample forms.  Would anyone be willing to share their competency assessment forms/checklists?  I am trying to make one up for our lab and different areas and need some guidance to ensure that I cover everything that needs to be assessed.  I know that I need to have the collection and transporting of specimens from the OR/Endo areas, receiving/accessioning and labeling specimens/blocks/slides.  Preparing/sectioning/staining Frozens.  Embedding/sectioning/staining routine stains/special stains/IHC stains.  Documenting/performing of equipment maintenance/function checks/decons/temperature checks.  Preparing and labeling cytology specimens received in lab/ prepared FNA slides/specimens from FNA's/ Prepared slides/specimens from CT guided procedures.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out exactly how to document and which of the six (if not all) competency elements are needed to be checked for each of the areas.

If anyone is willing to share their templates (and how they actually document, i.e., initial, checkmark)  or perhaps point me to a website, book, or person to reference, I would be very grateful!!!

Thank you,

Fawn Bomar
This electronic message may contain information that is
confidential or legally privileged.  It is intended only
for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients
in the message.

If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any
computer. Do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and
do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on
the information it contains.

Thank you