[Histonet] formalin and shrinkage

Jay Lundgren jaylundgren at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:30:46 CST 2016

I was taught at AFIP to expect shrinkage of 10%, in each dimension.  So I
guess that's 30% shrinkage overall?  Shrinkage is partially caused by
formalin crosslinking the proteins in fixation, and partially by
dehydration.  Maybe a little shrinkage in xylene too?  From removal of fat
in adipose tissues?
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00695061#page-1

Is your Pathologist really concerned about shrinkage, or about curling and
distortion of small shave bxs?  Because a certain degree of shrinkage is an
unavoidable artifact of tissue processing.

If it's the latter, I like to use 2 blue sponges.  I find they really help
to keep things flat and oriented.  Some people don't like them because of
carryover.  I just say change your processor reagents more often.

Sincerely,

    Jay A. Lundgren, M.S., HTL (ASCP)