[Histonet] Using same DAB for multiple slide racks

Andrea Calhoun calhouan at ohsu.edu
Mon Apr 25 17:22:32 CDT 2016

Hi Listers!

Has anyone ever tried re-using DAB? Not like week or day old DAB, but using the same DAB solution for more than one rack of slides? Anyone know the length of time DAB is activated for before becoming inactivated, or quenched?  Safe to do, if more H202 is added?

After antibody validation, we typically know how long to stain with DAB so we can stain a huge batch (24slides/rack, normally 2-3 racks) each in their own 150mls of Dab solution. But the DAB tablets we get are expensive and we are seeing an increase in the amount of IHC runs we're doing- so the whole thing is becoming expensive.  If it is viable to use the same 150mls of DAB for 2-3 racks of slides, that would greatly decrease the amount we're using and cost.

If anyone has ever tried this, or does this routinely- please let me know!

Andrea Calhoun