[Histonet] Cresyl echt violet and Mallory azan

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 13:39:36 CST 2015

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay, PhD (where?) asks about availability of cresyl echt
violet and "Mallory azan".

Cresyl violet acetate - also known as cresyl echt violet or cresyl fast
violet - doesn't have a Colour Index number - I'd want to be certain to buy
a product certified by the Biological Stain Commission, such as
Sigma-Aldrich's
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/c5042?lang=en&region=US

"Mallory azan" (actually Heidenhain azan) was a technique rather than a
stain - "azan" was an acronym for the two dyes azocarmine and aniline blue.
This century-old stain was considered obsolete when I was a resident 50
years ago, and Lillie (3rd ed. 1965) noted that he'd never tried it because
it was so time-consuming.

What you probably need is a good blue trichrome stain such as
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/ht15?lang=en&region=US

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN