[Histonet] Animal reference material

Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth) algranth <@t> email.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 31 10:03:07 CDT 2015

After working for over twenty years on human tissues in clinical labs I went to work in a research core lab. I was the only histotech so I had to learn about animal, insect and plant tissue plus some things like cell pellets and films. I thank my connections from networking thru NSH and state societies who always came through with the perfect advice so don't NOT use this resource.
I found that there wasn't much difference with routine special stains like trichrome, PAS, LFB, oil red o, etc. You may be asked to do some that aren't usually done on human tissue. I did a lot of picrosirius red and a special elastic stain for lung tissue. I was asked to combine some stains like H&E-alcian blue. It really depends on what the people do who are bringing you the tissue. Since my lab served researchers I could expect almost anything! Freida Carson's book is a good book to have on hand. I liked the second edition most. If you can get your hands on an old AFIP manual and a Preece get them!
You may find differences with IHC. Can't help you there since that was done in another lab.
Processing is where the differences lie. Make sure you get some good info on processing other species. Humason is good and don't forget the NSH has an Animal Processing Manual. I found a lot of protocols online. I had different schedules for different species and types of tissue - like mouse embryo or chick embryo, brains, bones, tiny little things like cultured mouse ovaries and on and on.
Good luck!

Andi G.
Happily retired but soon to return to Histo (just a little)
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Wineman, Terra [Terra.Wineman <@t> novusint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:52 AM
To: Patrick Laurie; Kimberly Marshall
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Animal reference material

Here is a link I found on google.  https://archive.org/details/animaltissuetech00huma

Terra Wineman, HTL (ASCP)CM
Research Biologist, Physiology
636-926-7476 phone
terra.wineman <@t> novusint.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Patrick Laurie
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:18 AM
To: Kimberly Marshall
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

The best that I have used in the past was humason's animal tissue techniques.  I think that there are several editions out there, I used a
1979 edition.  After googling it, I see that there may be a full text version available online too.

Patrick Laurie(HT)ASCP QIHC

Histology Manager

Celligent Diagnostics, LLC

101 East W.T. Harris Blvd  | Suite 1212 | Charlotte, NC 28262

Work: 704-970-3300  Cell: 704-266-0869