[Histonet] RE: Billing question (imhyper13@aol.com)

Gray, Ed egray <@t> hsc.wvu.edu
Fri Mar 27 13:33:43 CDT 2015

They may be referring to a separate CDM (Charge Description Master) each of which would then have the same CPT code attached.  This would make it possible to put the stain name on a bill rather than the more generic CPT description.

We don't go to the length of creating a CDM for each stain.  However, we do create separate CDM's based on price.  For all stains done in house we have one code and charge the same price for each.  For stains sent to various labs we will create codes which have the appropriate price attached.  To take that a step further, those codes are tied to a different cost centers so that cost analysis, pricing decisions and budgeting can be broken down between Histology and Send Outs.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Ed Gray | Clinical Application Coordinator | Phone: 304-293-2945 | Fax: 304-293-1627 | WVU Healthcare l egray <@t> wvuhealthcare.com

------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:11:37 -0400
From: imhyper13 <@t> aol.com
Subject: [Histonet] Billing question
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu.

I have a question about billing practices for special stains and IHC.  We have a single billing code for all of our group 1 special stains. (88312).  For example, if you order an AFB, GMS and PASF, it would bill as 88312 x 3.  How does everyone else bill in this scenario?  We are being told that EACH stain in the group 1 needs it's own billing code.  Does anyone else do this?
Thanks