[Histonet] GI Pathology Req's

Eileen Akemi Allison akemiat3377 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:30:52 CDT 2015

Just an FYI- We do not have a LIS System!  The GI CEO and administrator DOES NOT want to invest in a LIS System! Our pathologists are contracted, so they just go with the flow… which is difficult for me to have support to upgrade our system.

As usual, we are an after thought! When I came here 4 years ago, I thought I was in a time machine and had been transported back to 1989 before they had lab computers or LIS Systems! We are currently using “PCM”.  It is geared towards GI MD’s and their practice. It is a system which is used for scheduling and all patient information. It interfaces with the billing system. This system was in place before I got here.

Currently, my assistant has to create a Path Report and type in gross, etc… then the pathologist types in his microscopic findings and sign’s the report. Everything is hard copy….. I have basically time warped to before the 90’s when I created all these workload recording forms up.

We have hard copy req forms which are hand written by the nurses in endoscopy with all the patient and specimen information.  We do have an automated cassette printer, but we hand write slides.   We hand write an embedding log with # of number of pieces in the cassette, etc…for QC purposes.  I hand write CPT charges on a hard copy and submit to the billing dept.  Nothing is bar coded, etc…. It is better now that I have an assistant.

The endoscopy center has upgraded to “Provation”. It interfaces with our current “PCM” (Prime Clinical Management System) which is antiquated!  The new computer system for scheduling and billing is "Athena Healthcare” it is geared for billing and appointment scheduling etc.... We are also interfaced with Elkay?  and are in training now and go live August 11th!

We are still going to have to do the same procedure with pathology as usual, but we have to create the templates again!  They are not getting us a LIS system to interface!

Oh wait, I’ve been a histologist for 50 years and still going strong!  It’s frustrating, but at least I live in a beautiful area!

Akemi Allison BS, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Pathology Manager
Monterey Bay GI Consultants Laboratory
23 Upper Ragsdale Drive, Suite 200