[Histonet] Re: CBG recyler and recycled Formalin

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:29:35 CST 2015

Ryan Roy HTL (ASCP) in Manchester NH asks:

>>We are getting a new CBG that recycles xylene , alcohol, and formalin. We
purchase buffered formalin. Does anyone know if after recycling the
recycled formalin would or would not need be re-buffered?<<

If you distill buffered formalin, the formaldehyde is going to distill
over, but not the buffer phosphate, which will remain in the still pot. I
suppose you can buy phosphate mixtures to make Lillie's neutral buffered
formalin anew, using your recycled formaldehyde.

I think you also have to measure the concentration of formalehyde in the
distillate, and dilute accordingly.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN