[Histonet] How dark is dark enough?

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu
Tue Feb 24 10:06:37 CST 2015

If you are using an automated stainer the plexiglas cover that they all have will block UV light. For instance we run all our IF in a Dako stainer with the slightly tinted Plexiglas and have not had any problems.  If staining manually in  a tray, covering with something to block light is ok. On the other hand, I can't really say I've had a problem even with no light blocking. The incubations are usually so short it may not make a difference. Consider that the focused UV light in the fluorescence scope is thousands of times stronger than any overhead tube and it still takes a while for the signal to dim.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this email message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this email message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Paula Sicurello
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:21 AM
To: HistoNet
Subject: [Histonet] How dark is dark enough?

Good Morning Netters,

While running immunofluorescence stains, how dark is dark enough?

I have worked in labs where we did them in full room light, almost complete darkness (developing negative/film darkness), and somewhere in between.

I feel that dimmed lights are good enough.

What does the histology collective think?

Thanks in advance!

Paula  :-)