[Histonet] RE: peach stone (pit) sectioning?

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Feb 10 11:53:11 CST 2015

The book "Botanical Microtechnique and Cytochemistry" by Graeme P. Berlyn & Jerome P. Miksche (Iowas State University Press, 1976; ISBN 813802202) give a detailed account of softening wood using hydrofluoric acid - including safety precautions for this nasty stuff. Pages 73-74. A sliding microtome is recommended. This book also has a good chapter on cutting techniques for botanical materials. It is out-of-print but available 2nd-hand quite cheaply, eg http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AGraeme%20P.%3B%20Miksche%5Cc%20Jerome%20P.%20Berlyn

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =