[Histonet] paraffin sectioning-dry tissue?

Lucie Guernsey lguernsey <@t> ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:22:16 CST 2015

By adding water, ice, or warm humidity (through exhalations) to the mix,
though, doesn't the block contract/expand? Wouldn't that change the
ultimate thickness of the section? I've always wondered how much it affects
things.

Could your sections be 1 um (or multiple um!) thicker/thinner that you
expect? What happens if individual blocks contract/expand differently (due
to the amount of time left soaking, how far into the block you've cut since
you last soaked, etc.)? I feel like you couldn't properly compare
quantifications across a study if the thickness of your tissue is an
unknown variable.

Am I overthinking this?

Lucie Guernsey
UC San Diego