[Histonet] Miniature arrays for control

Steve McClain SteveM at mcclainlab.com
Fri Dec 11 17:22:45 CST 2015

We have used miniature arrays for 9 years. We place both positive and negative controls on every IHC. Minimal design is one positive and one negative control.
To start make  a simple one with positive and negative using a  2mm skin punch biopsy with plunger to cut out known tissue and mount together.

If you can't punch out tissue, or a valuable control is thin, then one can still make a miniature array.
Make an accordion or fan by cutting a 50 micron section and scrunch together.
Repeat with negative. Repeat with another positive. Wrap the whole thing in parafilm and Mount your layers on edge in paraffin. For example HHV8, KS marker, we have 5 controls 2 cases of KS, PG, hemangioma and normal skin.

Steve A. McClain, MD