[Histonet] RE: JCAHO Competency Requirements

Duddey, Aimee ADuddey <@t> firsthealth.org
Thu Oct 2 11:14:11 CDT 2014

We were recently JCAHO inspected and I asked the same question of the inspector.  The response I got was because histology does not report results our competency would be much broader.  You would still have to assess the 6 elements for each process we do.  For example in our lab we do Routine H&E, Special stains, and IHC stains.  You would have to assess the 6 elements for each of these.  In the leading practice library for TJC there is a very good competency assessment document that lists the 6 elements.   Hope this helps.

Aimee
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jones, Laura
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:49 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] JCAHO Competency Requirements

Good Morning!  We are switching from CAP to JCAHO for our inspection and accreditation.  I'm reading a lot about "Six Method Competency", but most of the information I have is geared toward blood testing.  If anyone out there can offer any suggestions as to how I should reformat our competency forms to satisfy JCAHO, I would appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance!

Laura Jones B.A., HT, PBT (ASCP) | Lead Tech, Histology | Community Health Systems
740 East State Street | Sharon PA | Phone (724)983-3950 | Fax (724)983-3982 www.sharonregional.com<http://www.sharonregional.com/> | lpjones <@t> srhs-pa.org<mailto:lpjones <@t> srhs-pa.org>

Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain information that is Proprietary, Confidential, or legally privileged or protected. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information it contains.