[Histonet] Best Study material for HTL

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 07:31:31 CST 2014

just my "two cents"

         Basics;
Carson- A great instructional text, good for teaching, if you need the basics, this is good if you get the white, 3rd edition. The purple-magenta edition is a little superficial in my opinion for concentrated study. Would add- Sheehan & Hrapchak, a little outdated but more  in depth theory, "classic" histotechnology. Luna would also suffice for this purpose.

Staining theory;Kiernan, J. (2008). Histological and Histochemical Methods:  GOOD, but I believe expensive.Kumar, G. & Rudbeck, L. (2009). Dako Education Guide Special Stains and H & E (2nd ed.). Good for introductory on special stains, not both Carson and this, maybe one of them if you need basics first.Kumar, G. & Rudbeck, L. (2009) Dako Immunohistochemical Staining Methods (5th ed.) -GOOD IHC review.Harmening, D.M. (2012). Laboratory Management: Principles and Processes (3rd ed.). St. Petersburg: D.H. Pub. & Consulting, Inc. Don't have this one, may be good if you do not have a management or business background?
Note, books are like music, and each person will be drawn to particular ways of presenting the same content, they all have some good points. I am just responding with what I would choose if I were to have to study all over again. Best of luck.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC