[Histonet] Should I leave histology world

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 9 20:07:04 CDT 2014

You didn't mention what your current cutting speed is, nor what speed they
want you to be at.

Ask your supervisor to set up goals for you to meet, with time frames. Each
week, work on getting faster, not fast today, just faster each week.

At the School where I taught, we had goals set up during the time the
students were learning, and also time when they were doing their histology
lab rotation. When they were learning in the School, they would microtome
1-3 times a week for the first 2 months, and nearly daily the last 2 months,
about 2 hours a day (for total of 120+ hours microtoming before their
histology rotation). The first couple of months, emphasis was on quality,
and then it shifted to quantity (speed) and quality. Every 4-6 weeks, they
were reassessed as to whether they were meeting quality and quantity (speed)
goals.

When they did their 1 month rotation through histology lab, they were full
time in the lab, and microtomed about 2-3 hours a day (total about an
additional 100 hours microtoming). They were expected to keep the quality
up, and still improve their quantity (speed). When they graduated, no, they
were not as fast as experienced techs, but they were close.

At any time (school or rotations), if they didn't measure up to the goals,
they knew they had to repeat the evaluation and/or rotation. If they still
could not meet the goals, they would be let go from the program. So they had
to pass the academic part (tests for what they know) as well as psychomotor
(DOING the sectioning, staining, embedding, etc.), and the affective
(showing up on time, getting along with people, willing to volunteer, etc.).

This is the same as any histotech job. There are goals (quality and quantity
(speed)) that everyone must be able to meet. You have been microtoming at
your second job for 2 months, 8 hours a day, and 2-3 hours a day since April
(up to 2 months) at your current job. That's about 400 hours of microtoming
while at jobs. At this point, you should have quality down pat, and should
be able to concentrate on speed.

So have your supervisor set specific speed goals and dates, and then you use
those time intervals to keep improving your speed. Have your supervisor
watch you, and see where you are being slowed down by unnecessary movements.
And if you are the only histotech responding to the data entry person, then
explain it to your supervisor, and get that responsibility on a rotating
basis amongst all of you.

Peggy Wenk HTL (ASCP) SLS