[Histonet] Clinical EM Labs?

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
Mon Jul 21 07:31:36 CDT 2014

We closed our EM laboratory many years ago after our Director passed away unexpectedly and we could not find anyone to take his place.  We now send all of our medical and transplant kidney biopsies to Columbia in NYC for diagnosis including EM.  Other specimens (e.g., ciliary biopsies, heart biopsies for amyloid, an occasional liver biopsy, etc.) are sent to Yale.  Although we run a large Anatomic Pathology operation there are very few specimens that require EM.  We no longer use EM for tumors and most infectious disease cases are resolved with IHC.  It's unfortunate (given our size) that we can no longer provide these services on-site; however, I'm a firm believer of "Centers of Excellence" and I think sending these specimens out to centers that are performing EM on a daily basis is best for the patients that we serve.

Richard Cartun
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Paula Sicurello [patpxs <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 4:11 PM
To: HistoNet; Microscopy <@t> microscopy.com
Subject: [Histonet] Clinical EM Labs?

Hello Netters and Listers,

I was wondering how many clinical EM labs there are in the US?  I get the
feeling that we are becoming a small group and just wanted to see who else
is out there.

My lab has two services:  surgical pathology and diagnostic virology.

Please contact me if you are clinical EM as well.

I figured, if we are a small group, we should get to know each other.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Sincerely,

Paula

--
Paula Sicurello, HTL (ASCP)
Supervisor, Clinical Electron Microscopy Laboratory

HIPAA Privacy Notification: This message and any accompanying documents are
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521,
and contain information intended for the specific individual (s) only. This
information is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, copying or the taking of any action based on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited . If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and
delete the original message.