[Histonet] How to process tissues submitted in acrylamide

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Jan 24 14:02:32 CST 2014

If it's a cross-linked polyacrylamide gel (as used, for example, for electrophoresis), the block will suddenly shrink to a tiny stone-like object when the water content reaches a critical low level (15-20% water, 80-85% alcohol). I may have the % wrong; remembering an experiment in the early 1980s. You will need to do frozen sections.  For technical details see Hausen,P & Dreyer,C  (1981) Stain Technol. 56: 287-293.  They didn't cryoprotect. Evidently its important not to let the sections dry out on the slides (or coverslips) before staining.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
= = =