[Histonet] Melanin pigment removal

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Fri Jan 10 10:30:52 CST 2014

Leila asks about removing melanin pigment.

We run slides down to water and place in aquous 0.25% potassium Permanganate. Wash well in tap water.Rinse in distilled water. Place in aquous 5% oxalic acid for 5 minutes. Rinse in distilled water.Wash in tap water. continue with method.

We run three control slides. Two of a known melanin containing slide, and an extra test slide. Treat one each of the test slides  and control slides with the permanganate.

The method is a little harsh. You may want to use coated slides. There are different melanins that have slightly different characteristics, requiring different times.

Ref: Manual of Histological Staining Methodsof the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (1968) Lee Luna (Edit)

There are other methods to remove melanin that use potassium chlorate, and hydrogen peroxide.

Michael Titford
Pathology USA
Mobile AL