[Histonet] Treatment of calcified human arteries

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Feb 14 10:44:31 CST 2014

Dear Galina,

 Formic acid, buffered that contain either sodium citrate or sodium formate
that have an approximate 4.5% formic acid concentration (yes, I did the
calculation one time) and as made from 90% stock formic acid.       You can
buy these decalcifying solutions from a vendor, but look at the MSDS so you
know what is in the solution.  These are both well known e.g. "classic"
formic acid solutions.    If you are into making up your own solutions, what
Liz Chliplala suggested is excellent although not buffered.    Make sure
your arteries are totally fixed in order to protect the antigens from
effects of acid decalcification.

I replied yesterday about Massons Trichrome and have a protocol with a
modified, more concentrated Weigerts Iron Hematoxylin that proved to be far
superior for decalcified tissues/bones.   The nuclei were never
differentiated out to the point of weak staining.    I will be happy to send
if you want it.

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)