[Histonet] middle school science day

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Mon Apr 7 09:23:54 CDT 2014

Carol

When we has some 5th graders in the lab.  I put together a 20 minute talk on cells and tissues, it was very basic.  For some reason I can't seem to locate it but if I do I'll share it.  They then spent time in the lab, they printed their own cassette and embedded a slim jim, they got to watch someone section, we let them pick up the sections on the waterbath and they got to stain an H&E and iron stain.  We divided them up into groups of 10 and they rotated through three modules, - 1 - the lecture 2- processing, embedding and sectioning and 3 - staining.    NSH has some nice flyers that you can give to them and they also have a video on being a histotech.  We asked vendors for goodies and then put together a bag that had a bunch of stuff in it for each of the students, we do this every year for both the 5th graders and then a summer class of Juniors and Seniors from Frontiers of Science it's a program at Northern Colorado University.

Go to the Mich. Assoc. Of Lab. Sci. Educators (MALSE) website (program directors of MT, MLT, HT, HTL, PA, CT programs in Michigan put this together).

http://www.malse.org/

On the left, lots of information to choose from

Click on "Links", and it should take you to "Diagnostic Detectives"
Click on "Diagnostic Detectives CD" on lower right, then click on "Click here to launch"
Opens to a general CD of laboratory
Can click on middle bottom for Anatomic Pathology Labs
Opens to CD on Anat Path
On left, can click on more CD for histology, cytology, PA

Then on the left of each of these, there are panels with information about high school preparation, education training, and career ladders and certification

Across the top of Diagnostic Detectives is "other" careers - vet, forensic, supervisor, etc.

While on Diagnostic Detectives, check out Resources of Teachers on the left, and click on "Diagnostic Detective Toolkit", first bullet in white area. Check out Teachers Tools or Students Tools. also check out "Other Resources", and try "histology world".

Good Luck

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504