[Histonet] GI Biopsies

Campbell, Tasha M. tmcampbell <@t> fmh.org
Fri Apr 4 06:57:45 CDT 2014

Does anyone have problems with their GI biopsies kind of shredding when
cutting?  I microwave process them in the Shurwave microwave processor.
I have been doing this for over a year and only the past couple months I
have noticed that almost every biopsy I cut has knife lines in it.  I
have to change my blade constantly.  I was told by a TBS technician that
if I ever noticed the tissue doing this, it meant that I did not have
all the alcohol out of the tissue, but does that sound like it would
cause the tissue to shred like that?  I don't use my reagents more than
2 times and I have even tried increasing the time and temp a little but
no help.  I have been doing them for a year and did not have a problem
and I haven't changed anything.  Any solutions or suggestions???
Thanks!

Tasha Campbell, B.S.,HTL(ASCP)

Frederick Gastroenterology Associates

310 W. 9th St.